The Gun Owners Foundation exists in order to educate the public about the importance of the Second Amendment and to provide legal, expert and support assistance for law-abiding individuals involved in firearms-related cases. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Contributions to Gun Owners Foundation are fully tax-deductible.
The Foundation continues to research, publish and distribute numerous books, monographs, issue briefs, audio and video tapes, and other educational materials relating to firearms rights. Among the many books being disseminated are:
- That Every Man Be Armed: The Evolution of a Constitutional Right. Written by Second Amendment attorney Stephen P. Halbrook, this book provides a definitive account of the individual’s right to keep and bear arms as set forth in the Second Amendment.
- To Keep and Bear Arms: The Origins of an Anglo American Right. Joyce Lee Malcolm illuminates the historical facts underlying the passionate debate about gun related violence and the Brady Act, revealing the original meaning and intentions behind the individual’s right to keep and bear arms.
- On the Firing Line: Essays in Defense of Liberty. GOF Executive Vice President Larry Pratt provides this collection of thought-provoking essays for those wanting to avail themselves of rational and coherent information relating to firearms rights.
- Origins and Development of the Second Amendment. Drawing upon and presenting a large number of original sources ranging from medieval statutes to James Madison’s private notes, author David Hardy demonstrates why this right had to be recognized in the Bill of Rights alongside other key personal liberties.
The Foundation has been involved in numerous cases of assistance to organizations and individuals against federal firearms charges, as well as state and local prosecutions for the use of a firearm in self-defense.
GOF has been active not only in criminal cases, but also in civil and administrative matters. Visit the litigation page for more details.
The law firm of William J. Olson, P.C. serves as Legal Counsel for Gun Owners Foundation. This law firm advises on scores of cases a year involving individuals and companies seeking legal counsel, and has written and argued friend of the court briefs for the Foundation. The Olson firm coordinates the Legal Advisory Committee which advises the Foundation on which cases should receive financial support.
Legal Advisory Committee members are:
David Hardy, an attorney and an author who has published many law review articles has also served as an associate editor of the Arizona Law Review. Hardy represented Sheriff Richard Mack in his landmark case that went to the Supreme Court. Mack successfully challenged the Brady Act requirement that local law enforcement officials perform a background check on gun buyers.
Kerry Morgan, who is an attorney, has been a firearms dealer, and has published a number of articles in the area of natural law and unalienable rights, and a book, Real Choice, Real Freedom in American Education.
Robert E. Sanders is an attorney, and a former Assistant Director of Criminal Investigation for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (“BATF”).
The Directors of Gun Owners Foundation are:
- Tim Macy, President
- John Velleco, Executive Vice President
- Erich Pratt, Vice President
- Samuel A. Paredes
- Steven Hummell
- William Kuchan
- Dan Larocca
- Gerry Ognibene
- David Rush
- David Whitt
- John Williams
Many of the Foundation’s fundraising services are donated to the organization. The most recent annual audited financial statements of GOF demonstrate that fundraising expenditures constitute less then two percent of the Foundation’s total support and revenue.
Here’s What They Are Saying About Gun Owners Foundation
“For over three years I was involved in a legal battle with the BATF. GOF was extremely supportive and helpful the entire time. In fact, I sincerely believe that if it wasn’t for the assistance of GOF in helping to prove my innocence, I’d probably be sitting in a Federal prison right now. Thank you so much.” — Darryl Evans, Los Angeles, California
“When you are the subject of a malicious prosecution, it is very encouraging to know that you are not alone. The City and County tried to run my firearms business into the ground through a frivolous prosecution. I am very grateful to Gun Owners Foundation for helping me.” — General Laney, Detroit, Michigan
“Thank you so much for your efforts. GOF was there with the necessary assistance to help us fight this governmental abuse of power, and overturn the county gun ban in court.” — Tracy Finnell, Springfield, Virginia
“When the local police violated my right to self defense with a handgun after I was threatened by neighborhood thugs, I had to fight city hall. I really appreciate Gun Owners Foundation’s support in this fight.” — Richard Manuel, Columbus, Ohio
“Without the help of the Foundation, all of the seized firearms would have been destroyed. I have worked with a number of other organizations that assist with good causes, but never one like GOF that was willing to ‘roll up its sleeves’ and dive unreservedly into a fight to protect a good family man from ruin.” — Andrew R. Haut, Bakersfield, California
“Were it not for Gun Owners Foundation, I would have had to fight bogus gun charges brought by a biased local system without the aid of any Second Amendment organization. I would have lost everything without GOF standing by me.” — Laura Kuriatnyk, Rocky Comfort, Missouri